Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Free Cabled Cup Cozy Pattern


I just thought I'd post this little cutesie project. It took all of about 2 hours to make. It may have gone faster, but I wanted a nice tight gauge, so I knitted it in the round with worsted weight wool, on 4 size 2 DPN's.


Cast on 42 stitches, and the pattern is as such:


P2, K4, P2, K4, P4, K4, P2, K4, P4, K4, P2, K4, P2. Following that stitch count, I just twisted the cables after every 4 rounds. You could go every 6 rounds, or whatever you like, and it doesn't matter which direction you twist, just have fun with it. Mine is about 2 1/2 inches tall. When it was done, I lightly felted it by smooshing it around in my hands, in alternating baths of hot soapy water, and icy cold water. until it was slightly firmer than the finished knit fabric. Rinse well, roll in 3 paper towels and squeeze! Immediately put it on a 16 oz cup like the one in the picture, (available at the grocery store) fill it with boiling hot water, and let it sit until the water had cooled, and the cozy is dry.

5 comments:

Paz said...

Thanks for the pattern! I added a seed stitch border on each end, and knitted this up in worsted weight Blackberry Ridge merino yarn on size six needles. It turned out really nicely and will be going to a coffee fiend friend as a birthday gift this weekend.

stolonsandrhizomes said...

Thanks for the pattern, it's really pretty. I want to point out a slight mistake though. In the pattern you say to end with P2, but you would actually end with K4 if you cast on with 42 stitches.

Anonymous said...

how exactly do you twist the cables!?

Extravagant Empress said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, it was really helpful!

To the anonymous comment, to twist the cable, you need a cable needle. You knit up to your cable, and then remove half of the stitches that you want on the cable. You then knit the other half normally and then knit the stitches on the needle. (Putting the cable needle behind or in front of your work depending on what direction you want your cables to go.)

This is just how I do it, I'm not sure what method the author uses. :3 Hope that helped!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this! It's exactly what I was looking for to avoid wasting all those cardboard sleeves. Bravo.